Oil and gas management software created for a U.S. federal agency to monitor the current condition, reliability and safety of oil platforms.
Our client — the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) — vigorously oversees nation-wide and U.S. offshore work safety, emergency preparedness, environmental compliance, and conservation of resources. They were looking for a backend .NET development team to improve the current version of their web application for monitoring oil development and extraction platforms in real time. We already had a solid .NET team with the necessary qualifications, so we were able to meet all of the agency’s requirements in full, and that was how the Bureau chose us for oil and gas land management software development.
The main purpose of this web application was to check the statuses of each oil platform in operation on the Bureau-regulated territories and get the proper information about their configurations and locations, water depth, deck height, production data, the data about past inspections, etc. With this information at hand, the platforms’ managers could monitor their current condition, reliability, and safety. Initially, the application worked very slowly even with a small amount of processed data. Providing that the client was planning to import more data for processing and additional calculations, this would increase the server load and could practically halt the application altogether. For this reason, the app required refactoring and optimization. Since the main task of the our team was to improve the performance of this web application, we started by optimizing the underlying database structure, namely: Server requests sent to the database Data processing on the server Client-side requests sent to the server The last step in improving the application was to optimize the client-side request processing and page rendering. Along the way, we refactored the code and applied more flexible architectural solutions to prepare the application for the changes to be introduced later in the project. This was the first and very important stage in the implementation of our solution for the Bureau. Since we successfully completed this stage and the optimization brought a significant increase in productivity, we went on and extended the app functionality by adding new tables for calculations, among other features.